Tip of the Month: All About Cures and Brines
Most Americans, especially hunters, love cured and smoked meats, with ham, summer sausage and jerky being some of our favorites. In fact, in my opinion, the only food that rivals a good smoked meat is chocolate!
The concentrated cures usually have a name like “Fast Cure” or “Sure Cure”. They contain 6.25% sodium nitrite. The remaining 93.75% is salt. These concentrated cures are ALWAYS dyed pink. They are used at a rate of 4oz cure to 100 lbs of meat. This cure is more often used in sausages and is less likely to be used in a brine.
New Instructional Video on YouTube
Some of you have asked me about the proper way to sharpen a knife using a both a rough steel and smooth steel. I’ve just uploaded a new instructional video on YouTube that discusses and shows you the proper way to sharpen your game-cutting knives. Remember…the key to fast and quality game cutting is a very sharp, quality knife!
Am I Really Starting a Blog?
If you would have asked me a month ago if I had a blog or would start a blog, I would have first asked you, “What is a blog?” and then laughed with an eye roll included. As I always say, I’d rather spend my time hunting or fishing!
But then I realized that a blog would be a great way to share answers to some of the frequently asked questions I receive via email from my customers and YouTube fans, upcoming events that I will speaking or presenting at, new “how-to” videos I’ve uploaded to my YouTube channel, and new products I will be selling on my website.
With that said, I invite you to follow me to learn more about wild game processing and my passion for the great outdoors. And always feel free to contact me with questions, comments or a great hunting or fishing story!